Hi! Ready to get lots more bang for your video game buck? Then, start thinking about the latest trend — multiple arcade video games in one cabinet, generically known as a multicade.
That is right. Now, you can have several, not just one, classic games in a video game cabinet.
Instead of only, for example, Ms Pac-Man in a Ms Pac-Man game cabinet – now, you can have Ms Pac-Man, plus Galaga, Frogger, Donkey Kong, and dozens more classics all in one cabinet.
There are lots of possibilities for multiple game play available in the marketplace. Here is a brief description of a few common ones:
1. Multicade. The original Multicade system consists of a computer and game discs. However, the manufacturer is no longer in business. But, the system is still around, and there may be a new company that has taken over the brand.
The name multicade is now commonly used to describe almost all multi game setups.
2. Ultracade. Ultracade is another multi-game platform featuring multiple classic arcade games emulated on PC hardware running proprietary operating system and emulation code. The company is no longer in business. And, the name Ultracade is also sometimes used generically.
3. Arcade Classics 60-in-1. This is a JAMMA printed circuit board (PCB) offering 60 classic arcade video games.
4. Capcom 18-in-1. Are you a Head-to-Head fighting fan? Then check out the Capcom multicade.
5. PlayChoice 10. The Nintendo PlayChoice 10 system can be upgraded to play dozens of classic games.
6. NeoGeo. SNK’s multi video system (MVS) NeoGeo is a widely available cartridge based multi-game system. They are celebrating their 20th anniversary.
7. Games Family 1940-in-1 Multigame JAMMA System. Yep, that is right – 1,940 games, and many of the best ones, too. It is a monster.
8. MAME. The MAME (multiple arcade machine emulator) is a computer system with the capability to emulate practically every arcade video game. This multicade setup is typically undertaken only by the very dedicated hobbyists.
9. Williams Classics. Several of the classic Williams games (Joust, Defender, Stargate) are available in one dedicated cabinet.
10. Ms Pac-Man Galaga Reunion. This is a great dedicated game featuring two great classics. The game’s PCB (printed circuit board) could be installed into any cabinet, including a Ms Pac-Man cabinet, or a Galaga.
11. Multiple JAMMA PCBs. It is possible to install multiple JAMMA game pcbs into one cabinet, and switch between them.
12. Modified Ms Pac-Man. It is possible to modify a Ms Pac-Man PCB to be able to also play Pac-Man, and in either the fast or slow version of both.
13. Galaga Ms Pac-Man Switcher. It is possible to add either game PCB to the other game cabinet, and be able to switch between the two.
These are some of the more common solutions for multi game play, but there are many others.
An important distinction between cabinets:
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4747873